Lata Mangeshkar is a legendary Indian singer and music composer who has recorded thousands of songs in several Indian languages including Hindi, Marathi, Bengali and others. She has lent her voice to many old and young Indian films, delivering some of the most memorable songs in the history of Indian cinema. Some of her most famous songs include “Mera Dil Ye Pukare Aaja,” “Ek Pyar Ka Nagma Hai,” “Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh,” and “Kabhi Kabhi Mere.”
Her talent and contribution to Indian music have earned her numerous awards and recognition, including the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award. Lata Mangeshkar is considered as one of the most successful female playback singers in Bollywood and has a net worth of over $40 million.
Biography and Facts of Lata Mangeshkar
Despite being over 90 years of age, Lata Mangeshkar continues to be an inspiration to musicians and music lovers around the world. She is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential playback singers in the history of Indian cinema.
Lata Mangeshkar started her singing career in 1942 and has since received numerous awards and accolades for her contributions to Indian music, including the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award.
She has also been honored with several international awards, including the Legion of Honor from the Government of France. Mangeshkar has a huge fan following not only in India but also worldwide and continues to be an inspiration for aspiring singers.
Short biography of Lata Mangeshkar
- Lata Mangeshkar was born on September 28, 1929, in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India.
- She began her singing career in 1942 and has recorded over 50,000 songs in several Indian languages, including Hindi, Marathi, and Bengali.
- She is known as the Nightingale of India and has received several awards for her contribution to Indian music, including the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award.
- She has worked with some of the biggest names in Indian film, including music directors such as Sachin Dev Burman, R.D. Burman, and Laxmikant-Pyarelal.
- Mangeshkar has collaborated with other legendary Indian artists, such as the poet-lyricist Gulzar and the playback singer Mohammed Rafi.
- She has also recorded devotional and patriotic songs, and her rendition of the patriotic song “Ae Mere Watan Ke Logo” is considered one of the greatest patriotic songs in India.
- In 1974, she established the Lata Mangeshkar Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai, to provide medical care for the underprivileged.
- In 2011, she was honored with the Crystal Award at the World Economic Forum for her outstanding contribution to Indian music.
- Lata Mangeshkar never married. She dedicated her life to her singing career and is widely regarded as one of the greatest playback singers of all time in Indian cinema.
Lata Mangeshkar is a legendary Indian singer and music composer. Here are a few interesting facts about her:
- Early Struggles: Lata Mangeshkar was born in a musical family in Indore, India in 1929. Despite her love for singing, she faced many challenges in pursuing her passion due to her family’s financial difficulties. She eventually moved to Mumbai and began her journey as a singer by singing for advertisements and working as a chorus singer.
- First Breakthrough: Lata Mangeshkar got her first big break in 1942 when music director Ghulam Haider offered her the song “Aayega Aanewala” for the movie “Mahal.” This song became a huge hit and marked the beginning of Lata Mangeshkar’s legendary career.
- Voice of the Nation: Lata Mangeshkar’s voice became synonymous with the voice of the nation, and she has lent her voice to many patriotic songs, including “Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon,” which was written in honor of Indian soldiers who died during the Sino-Indian War.
- World Record: Lata Mangeshkar holds the world record for having recorded the most number of songs in different Indian languages, which is over 1000 songs in 20 different languages.
- Philanthropy: Lata Mangeshkar is known for her philanthropic work, and she has established several foundations to support the education of underprivileged children, as well as provide healthcare services to the needy.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards: Lata Mangeshkar has received numerous awards and accolades for her contributions to the music industry, including several National Film Awards, Padma Vibhushan, and the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award from the Indian government.
R.D. Burman and Lata Mangeshkar
Lata Mangeshkar and R.D. Burman had a long-standing association in the Indian film industry, with Burman composing music for many of Mangeshkar’s songs. They collaborated on several hit songs in films such as “Abhi Na Jao Chhod Kar,” “Piya Tu Ab To Aaja,” and “Mehbooba Mehbooba.”
One of the most famous stories about their collaboration is that of the song “Ek Pyar Ka Nagma Hai,” from the film Shor (1972). The song became a huge hit, but Burman was reportedly not satisfied with Mangeshkar’s initial recording of the song. He asked her to redo the song several times until he was finally satisfied with the final version.
Despite this incident, the two continued to work together for many years and had a mutual respect for each other’s talent. In fact, Burman once said, “If music is my heartbeat, then Lata Mangeshkar is my soul.”
Awards received by Lata Mangeshkar
Lata Mangeshkar, also known as the “Nightingale of India,” has received numerous awards and honors for her contributions to Indian music and cinema. Some of the notable awards she has received include:
- Padma Bhushan – 1969
- Padma Vibhushan – 1999
- Bharat Ratna – 2001
- NTR National Award for Best Female Playback Singer – 1995
- Filmfare Awards for Best Female Playback Singer – multiple times
- IIFA Lifetime Achievement Award – 2009
- National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer – 1974
- Zee Cine Award for Lifetime Achievement – 2001
In addition to these awards, Lata Mangeshkar has also been honored by several governments and organizations, including the government of France, which awarded her the Legion of Honor in 1987.
In addition to these formal awards, Lata Mangeshkar has also received numerous tributes from fans, musicians, and other artists who have been inspired by her music. Her songs and music have been covered by numerous artists, and she is widely considered to be one of the greatest voices in the history of Indian music. To this day, her music continues to be celebrated and enjoyed by millions of people all over the world, making her a true legend of Indian music.
About the Author
Ankita is a German scholar and loves to write. Users can follow Ankita on Instagram
Have you ever thought that how big business earns so much money while there are…
You must have heard or read a lot about iodine, how iodine is necessary for…
We are unable to control metabolism because it is largely influenced by our thyroid gland’s…
Prepare to be charmed by the ravishing allure of Anastasia Kvitko, the Russian fitness model…
Mary Phelps Jacob, a New York socialite, designed the modern bra in 1913. She tied…
This is a true story of how an illiterate farmer’s kid became a very wealthy…